Social Sciences & Psychology
Received: 01 Nov 2018 , Published: 08 November 2018
Views: 723 , Download: 240
This paper is on the subject of corruption in the Kurdistan region of Iraq (KRI) via using a significant number of data and reports that have been retrieved from numerous International, domestic institutions and different sources of mass media. It covers some major key issues in respect to corruption in Kurdistan. The beginning sections use analytical methods to describe the nature and forms of corruption in both Iraq and Kurdistan region. The remaining sections attempt to estimate the level of corruption in Kurdistan region through a comparison study with the corruption in other parts of Iraq.
- Ala, J. M. (2013). The Politics of Iraqi Kurdistan: Towards
- Kurdistan Regional Government. (n.d.) The Kurdistan Parliament. Retrieved from KRG website: http://cabinet.gov.krd/p/p.aspx?l=12&p=229
- NRT. (2018, July 10) KURDISTAN PARLIAMENT FINISHES FIRST READING FOR BILL TO NULLIFY PRESIDENT POWERS. Retrieved from Nrt website: http://www.nrttv.com/EN/News.aspx?id=2427&MapID=1
- 95% of Refugees in Kurdistan Live Outside Camps, Big Challenge for Local Communities. (2016) Retrieved from Rudaw website: http://rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/160620162
- Abdulrhman, H. (2012). How to end corruption in Kurdistan. Retrieved from http://www.kurdishaspect.com/doc051012HA.html
- Agator, M. (2013). Iraq: Overview of Corruption and Anti-Corruption (Report No. 374 ). U4 Expert Answer.
- Baraka, S. (2008). Reconstructing Post-Saddam Iraq. New York: Routledge.
- Barbarani, S. (2014). Advisor to PM: We are Trying to Embed a Culture of Integrity.Retrieved from http://basnews.com/en/News/Details/Advisor-to-PM--we-are-trying-to-embed-a-culture-of-integrity/13302.
- Barzinji, S. (2014). Barzani Reveal His Wealth. Retrieved from http://basnews.com/index.php/so/news/45145
- Burnett, B., Grogan, F. (2013). Needs Assessment Kurdistan Region Board of Supreme Audit Report. Retrieved from http://www.undp.org/content/dam/undp/documents/projects/IRQ/Needs%20Assessment%20Kurdistan%20Region%20Board%20of%20Supreme%20Audit%20Report%202013.pdf
- Cagaptay, S. (Ed). (2008). The Future of the Iraqi Kurds. Washington: Washington Institute for Near East Policy.
- Chilcot, S, J. (2016). The Report of the Iraq Inquiry. (UK-Government Study). Retrieved from The Iraq Inquiry website: http://www.iraqinquiry.org.uk/the-report/
- Contemporary history. (n.d.) Retrieved from Kurdistan Regional Government website: http://cabinet.gov.krd/p/p.aspx?l=12&p=216
- Corruption Perceptions Index 2015. (n.d.) Retrieved from TI website: http://www.transparency.org/cpi2015
- Diana, R., Gerard. W., & Toby. W. (2005). Global Corruption Report. Malta: Gutenberg Press Ltd. - Sheri, L. (2018, May 8) The Misleaders: Corrupt, Filthy Rich, and Proud of it. Ekurd Daily. Retrieved from https://ekurd.net/misleaders-corrupt-kurd-rich-2018-05-08
- Dolamari, M. (2016). President Barzani Announces KRG Reforms. Retrieved from http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/76e6afbd-f168-482c-881f-be0bdb8b0386/President-Barzani-announces-KRG-reforms
- Dwivedi, O, P. (1967). Bureaucratic Corruption in Developing Countries. University of California Press, 7, 245-253.
- Fact sheet: About the Kurdistan Regional Government. (n.d.). Retrieved from Kurdistan Regional Government website: http://cabinet.gov.krd/p/p.aspx?l=12&p=180
- FACTS & FIGURES. (n.d.). Retrieved from The Official Website of The Kurdistan Board Of Investment website: http://www.kurdistaninvestment.org/facts_figures.html
- Global Corruption Barometer. (n.d.) Retrieved from TI website: http://www.transparency.org/research/gcb/overview
- Good Governance and Transparency Strategy. (2009). Retrieved from KRG website: http://ogi.krg.org/download/documents/ogi/KRG_Good_Governance_and_Transparency_Strategy_2009_English.pdf
- Jabary, K., Hira, A. (2013). The Kurdish Mirage: A Success Story in Doubt. Middle East Policy, 99, 101-102.
- Kami, A.(2016). Nepotism's threat to democracy. Retrieved from http://www.nrttv.com/EN/birura-details.aspx?Jimare=2418
- KDP Terminate Agreement with Gorran Movement. (2016). Retrieved from Millet Press website: http://www.milletpress.com/Detail_EN.aspx?Jiamre=506&T=KDP%20Terminate%20Agreement%20with%20Gorran%20Movement
- KIE. (2012). The Monitoring of the Coverage of Corruption Issues in Kurdish Media Outlets (Third Report). Iraq-Kurdistan Region
- KRG Supports International Transparency Efforts at Anti-Corruption Global Forum. (2009). Retrieved from Kurdistan Regional Government website: http://www.krg.org/a/d.aspx?s=02010100&l=12&r=223&a=32382&s=010000.
- Kurdistan Regional Government reiterates Commitment to Paying International Oil Companies. (2015). Retrieved from MONR-KRG website: http://mnr.krg.org/index.php/ku/press-release-2/522-kurdistan-regional-government-reiterates-commitment-to-paying-international-oil-companies
- Kurdistan: A new democracy grows in the Middle East. (2011). Retrieved from Kurdistan Regional Government website: http://cabinet.gov.krd/a/d.aspx?l=12&s=02010200&r=73&a=39803&s=010000.
- Leading Kurdish Figure Says It's Time For A New Governance System. (2016). Retrieved from NRT website http://www.nrttv.com/EN/Details.aspx?Jimare=5069
- MacDiarmid, C. (2015). Kurds Rail Against Government Corruption as Protests Turn Violent in Iraqi Kurdistan. Retrieved fromhttp://www.ibtimes.co.uk/kurds-rail-against-government-corruption-protests-turn-violent-iraqi-kurdistan-1523915
- MENAFATF. (2012). Anti?Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism (Mutual Evaluation Report). Retrieved from MENAFATF website: http://www.menafatf.org/images/UploadFiles/Final_Iraq_MER_En_31_12.pdf
- MONR: The Income For June Was More Than 479 Million US Dollars. (2016). Retrieved from Rudaw website: http://rudaw.net/sorani/business/110720162 (Translated from Kurdish language)
- NRT. (October 2018). Abadi Handed Authority to Adil Abdul-Mahdi, While in Kurdistan The Authority is Renewed For Nechirwan Barzani Every Four Year. Retrieved from http://www.nrttv.com/News.aspx?id=7965&MapID=2 (Translated by Author)
- Oil Businesswomen Chrakhan Rafiq Denies Corruption Allegations. (2016). Retrieved from NRT website:http://www.nrttv.com/EN/Details.aspx?Jimare=7839
- Oil Companies in Kurdistan Region. (2013). Retrieved from PUK Media website :http://www.pukmedia.com/EN/EN_Direje.aspx?Jimare=1969
- Omer, A. (2016). Corruption and the KRG’s oil sector. Retrieved from http://www.nrttv.com/EN/birura-details.aspx?Jimare=2412
- Osgood, P., Tahir, R., Hussain, M. (2015). KRG Ruling party Ejects Rivals, Escalating Political Crisis. Retrieved from Iraq Oil Report website: http://www.iraqoilreport.com/news/krg-ruling-party-ejects-rivals-escalating-political-crisis-16709/
- Petty corruption. (n.d.). Retrieved from U4 Anti-corruption Resource Centre website: http://www.u4.no/glossary/petty-corruption-see-bureacratic-corruption/
- President Barzani: Reform is a constant need and a holy national duty. (2016, June 13). The Kurdish Globe, 538, p.4.
- Pring, C. (2015). Kurdistan Region of Iraq: Overview of corruption and anti-corruption (Report No. 2015:7) U4 Expert Answer.
- Rasheed, H, H. (2015). As Iraqi Kurdistan Runs Out of Oil Money, Kurdish Turn Backs On Baghdad. Retrieved from http://www.niqash.org/en/articles/economy/5035/
- Romano, D. (2016). How The KRG Could Reform Itself. Retrieved from http://rudaw.net/english/opinion/10032016.
- Rudaw. (2016). Barzani: Reforms and Corruption Probe are on Track. Retrieved from http://rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/090620163
- Sabir, D. (2016). International Legal Approach to Business. International Journal of Advance research, 4, 2320-9186.
- Sahil, H, A. For Fighting Corruption He Sent A Message to Barzani. (2016). Retrieved from NRT website: http://www.nrttv.com/Details.aspx?Jimare=42661
- Sahin, B, S. (2015). International Intervention and State-making: How Exception Became the Norm. New York: Routledge.
- Talabany, N. (2013). Interview: Good Governance & Transparency. Retrieved from http://
- Talabany, N. (n.d.). Kurdistan Launches Anti-Corruption Strategy. Retrieved from http://ogi.krg.org/articles/detail.aspx?lngnr=12&anr=36317
- Tamer E,l-G. (2018, September 5). Deadly protests rage in Iraq over lack of services as political transition deadlocks. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/?noredirect=on
- Tamer E,l-G.& Mustafa, S. (2018, September 7). Chanting ‘Iran, out!’ Iraqi protesters torch Iranian Consulate in Basra. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/?noredirect=on
- The Code of Conduct for employees of the Kurdistan Regional Government / Iraq. (KRG, Council of Ministers, 2011) art IV(1)
- The Constitution of the Republic of Iraq of 2005.
- The Kurdistan Region in Brief. (2010) Retrieved from Kurdistan Regional Government website: http://cabinet.gov.krd/a/d.aspx?s=03010300&l=12&a=23911&r=140&s=010000
- The Kurdistan Region in Brief. (n.d.) Retrieved from Kurdistan Regional Government website: http://cabinet.gov.krd/p/page.aspx?l=12&s=050000&r=300&p=210
- The Meaning of Corruption and A Survey of Its Most Common Forms. (n.d.). Retrieved From Unep website:http://www.unep.org/training/programmes/Instructor%20Version/Part_2/Activities/Interest_Groups/Decision-Making/Supplemental/UN_Anti_Corruption_Toolkit_pages_10to16.pdf
- The Monthly Report For January 2016 From Kurdistan Region of Iraq. (2016). Retrieved from the Embassy of Japan in Iraq website: http://www.iraq.emb-japan.go.jp/documents/emrkr201601.pdf
- The Office of Financial Supervision in Kurdistan Act No.2 of 2008 (Kurdistan Region—Iraq), arts 2
- The Public Integrity Authority Act No. 3 of 2011 (Kurdistan Region – Iraq), art 3 (Public Integrity Authority Act).
- The Right to Access to Information in Kurdistan Act No. 11 of 2013 (Kurdistan Region—Iraq) (Access to Information Act) (translated by the author).
- Transparency International. (2005). Global Corruption Report 2005. London: Pluto Press.
- Transparency International. (n.d.). HOW DO YOU DEFINE CORRUPTION?. Retrieved from Transparency International Website: https://www.transparency.org/what-is-corruption
- UN Development Programme. (2016). Analytical Study: The Law of the Public Authority of Integrity (Kurdistan Region–Iraq) (Report No. 3 Of 2011). Retrieved from UNDP website: http://www.undp.org/content/dam/undp/documents/projects/IRQ/KR%20Commission%20of%20Integrity%20%20Study.pdf
- UNHCR. (2007). Governorate Assessment Report (UNHCR Assessment Report). Retrieved from UNHCFR website: http://www.unhcr.org/471efcbc2.pdf
- UNODC. (2013). Corruption and Integrity Challenges in the Public Sector of Iraq: An Evidence-Based Study (An evidence-based study) Retrieved from UNODC website: http://www.unodc.org/documents/publications/2013_Report_on_Corruption_and_Integrity_Iraq.pdf
Federalism or Secession? (published postgraduate dissertation). University of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia.