Received: 28 Apr 2018 , Published: 06 May 2018
Views: 184 , Download: 84
Research Methods has become an important determinant of quality education by advancing students and educators to the level of problem solving citizens that are also result oriented at their work places. It is therefore currently one of the major course units in almost all academic disciplines in all universities worldwide. The purpose of this paper therefore was to assess the relevance of teaching research methods as a course unit at both under and graduate levels. The paper also studied the challenges that limit the progress of research methods course in some universities. The arrow framework method used in research was reported to be the best option of handling the problem of research language. A system for sharing research topics among students from developed countries and those from developing countries was recommended as the best solution for solving the existing challenges to the course. The relevant conclusions were developed as well.
- Daniel Kilburn, Melanie Nind & Rose Wiles (2014) Learning as Researchers and Teachers: The Development of a Pedagogical Culture for Social Science Research Methods?, British
Journal of Educational Studies, 62:2, 191-207, DOI: 10.1080/00071005.2014.918576
- David Lopatto, 2010; Undergraduate Research as a High-Impact Student Experience.
- Dr. Richard Andalon, 2012; Undergraduate Research Methods Course (AMST 392); mcnair.usc.edu/Research%20Methods%20Course,%20Spring%202012.pdf
- Gabriel B?descu, 2014; Advanced Research Methods Module; fspac.ubbcluj.ro/...php/.../course/.../Syllabus_Advanced%20Research%20Methods.pdf
- Galliers, R. D. and Huang, J. C. (2012); The teaching of qualitative research methods in information systems: an explorative study utilizing learning theory, European Journal of Information Systems, 21 (2), 119–134.
- Hammersley, M. (2012); Is it possible to teach social research methods well today? Discussion paper presented at HEA Social Sciences Teaching and Learning Summit: Teaching Research Methods, University of Warwick, 21–22 June 2012.
- Higher Education Commission, 2012; Research methods in education; windows on practice guide B.Ed. (Hons.) Elementary.
- Howard, C. and Brady, M. (2015) Teaching social research methods after the critical turn: challenges and benefits of a constructivist pedagogy, International Journal of Social Research Methodology, 18 (5), 511–525
- Jane Artess Charlie, Ball, Peter Forbes, Tristram Hughes, 2014; Taught Postgraduate Employability and Employer Engagement: Masters with a purpose
- Keenan, K. and Fontaine, D. (2012) Listening to our students: understanding how they learn research methods in geography, Journal of Geography, 111 (6), 224–235.
- Kelly, K. P., Turner, A., Gabel Speroni, K., McLaughlin, M. K., & Guzzetta, C. E. (2013). National survey of hospital nursing research, part 2: Facilitators and hindrances. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(1), 18–23.
- Lauren Razavi, 2014; Does a master's degree make you any more employable?
- M.J. Cox, 2012; Formal to informal learning with IT: research challenges and issues for elearning jcal_483 1.21.
- Melanie Nind, Daniel Kilburn & Rebekah Luff (2015): The teaching and learning of social research methods: developments in pedagogical knowledge, International Journal of Social Research Methodology, DOI: 10.1080/13645579.2015.1062631
- Nicholas Walliman, 2011. Research methods, the basics; https://edisciplinas.usp.br/.../BLOCO%202_Research%20Methods%20The%20Basics
- Ossai, Peter Agbadobi Uloku,2016; Relationship between Students’ Scores on Research Methods and Statistics, and Undergraduate Project Scores
- Patricia F. Pearce, Becky J. Christian, Sandra L. Smith & David E. Vance, 2013; Research methods for graduate students: A practical framework to guide teachers and learners
- Sarah Lewthwaite & Melanie Nind (2016) Teaching Research Methods in the Social Sciences: Expert Perspectives on Pedagogy and Practice, British Journal of Educational Studies, 64:4, 413-430, DOI: 10.1080/00071005.2016.1197882
- University of Groningen, 2014; The Benefits of Studying a Postgraduate Degree; https://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/careers-advice/benefits-studyingpostgraduate-degree
- Wikipedia, 2012; undergraduate education; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undergraduate_education