Biology and Life Sciences
Received: 17 Sep 2018 , Published: 22 September 2018
Views: 139 , Download: 0
Strawberry fruit was purchased from the local market and brought to the Food science division of NIFA for processing. They were washed, cut into halves and were treated with different concentrations of sugar (0%, 20% and 40 %) and CaCl2 (0%, 0.5% and 1%) solutions in 250ml plastic jars. The lids of the jars were tightly closed and stored at ambient condition for a period of 90 days. All the samples were analyzed for physicochemical properties (TSS, VIT C, %Acidity, Anthocyanin value, pH etc.), and microbiologically for Total Fungal Count (TFC). From the result, it was observed that the samples preserved with 40% sugar syrup were found better in Vitamin C and Anthocyanin retention after 90 days of storage. The anthocyanin content was leached out to some extent from the fruits into the syrup. The ratio of leaching was lesser in the samples treated with higher sugar concentration. No fungal contamination was noted in any sample irrespective of treatments while in controlled samples more than 103 TFC/gm was noted and found unsuitable for human consumption. The sensory evaluation showed that all the samples were within the acceptable range except the controlled ones which were discarded after 7 days of storage.
- AOAC (1984). Official methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemist. Washington D.C, USA. 15th ed. pp:1058-1059.
- Hordanburg, R.E. watada , A.E and Wang C.Y (1986). The commercial storage of fruit, vegetables and nursery stock. Agriculture handbook: 66, US. Deptt. Agriculture Washington D.C, pp:130.
- Malik, M.A., M.A. Haq and N. Muhammad. 1994. ?Prospectus of mango processing in Pakistan?, In: A. Saeed (Ed.), Mango, A Brochure of the Horticulture Foundation of Pak., Islamabad.
- Microbiological methods 2004. 8th ed. pp:144.
- MD. NurHussain, MD. Fakhruddin and MD. Nusrul Islam (2011).
Effect of chemical preservatives on the shelf life of tomato juice. American j. food Technology (10): 914-923.
- Navindra P. Seeram. (2008). Berry Fruits for Cancer Prevention: Current Status and Future Prospects. J. Agric. Food Chem. 56: 630–635.
- Oyetade, O.A., Oyeleke, G.O., Adegoke, B.M. and Akintunde, A.O. (2012). Stability Studies on Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) From Different Sources. IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry (IOSR-JAC) ISSN: 2278-5736. Volume 2, Issue 4 (2012), PP 20-24.
- Rachna Mishra and AbhijitKar. (2014). Effect of Storage on the Physicochemical and Flavour Attributes of Two Cultivars of Strawberry Cultivated in Northern India. Division of Post Harvest Technology, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Pusa Campus, New Delhi 110 012, India The Scientific World Journal Volume 2014 (2014).
- Sabina. R, Miyan SH, Hoque MM (2011). Studies on the effects of chemical preservatives on the quality of strawberry juice in Bangladesh. International Journal of Natural Sciences (2011), 1(4):97-101.
- Sharma, S., V. K. Joshi and G. Abrol. 2009. An overview on strawberry [ Frageria x ananassa (Weston) Duchesne ex Rozier] wine production technology, composition, maturation and quality evaluation. Natural product Radiance, Vol. 8(4): 356-365.
- Ronald E. Wrolstad, Per Lea and GretheEnerse. 1990. Influence of Sugar on Anthocyanin Pigment Stability in Frozen Strawberries. Journal of Food Science, Volume 55, Issue 4, pages 1064–1065, July 1990.