Medicine, Health & Food
Received: 16 Mar 2019 , Published: 25 March 2019
Views: 82 , Download: 2
|1||Luma M. Saadallah; Imad A-J Thanoon|
Aim: The study was conducted to evaluate the effect of Ginkgo biloba on serum uric acid level when used as add-on therapy to valsartan in hypertensive patients.
Patients and Methods:
The study was conducted in Private Clinics in Mosul City-Iraq, during a period of sixth months from 15 October 2017 to15 April 2018. The total number of patients enrolled in the study was 50 hypertensive patients using Valsartan mono-therapy of both sexes. The patients were administered Ginkgo biloba 80 mg twice daily and followed for 2 months duration. Their serum uric acid level was determined at baseline level and after 2 months from administration of Ginkgo biloba.
Results: There was a significant reduction on serum uric acid level after two months from addition of Ginkgo biloba.
Conclusions: This study revealed that Ginkgo biloba could be regarded as natural and relatively safe drug in reducing serum uric acid level.
- Sadaf HM, Bibi Y, Arshad M, Amjad MS. Status of maiden hair tree-ginkgo biloba: living fossils becoming endangered, NJMBS 2014; 3(4): 1-3.
- Brondino N, De Silvestri A, Re S, Lanati N, Thiemann A, Verna A et al . Systematic review and meta-analysis of ginkgo biloba in neuropsychiatric disorders: from ancient tradition to modern-day medicine. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2013; 2013: 915691.
- Gertz HJ, Kiefer M . Review about Ginkgo biloba special extract EGb 761 (Ginkgo). Curr Pharm Des 2004; 10(3): 261-264.
- Diamond BJ, Shiflett SC, Feiwel N, Matheis RJ, Noskin O, Richards JA, et al . Ginkgo biloba extract: mechanisms and clinical indications. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2000; 81(5): 668-678.
- Ding S, Dudley E, Plummer S, Tang J, Newton RP, Brenton AG. Quantitative determination of major active components in Ginkgo biloba dietary supplements by liquid chromatography mass spectrometry. Rapid Common Mass Spectrum 2006; 20(18): 2753-2760.
- Mullaicharam AR. A review on evidence based practice of Ginkgo biloba in brain health. IJCPA 2014; 1(1): 24-30.
- Roland PD, Nergård CS. Ginkgo biloba--effect, adverse events and drug interaction. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 2012; 132(8):956-959.
- Maiuolo J, Oppedisano F, Gratteri S, Mus coli C, Mollace V. Regulation of uric acid metabolism and excretion. Int J Cardiol 2016; 213: 8-14.
- Chaudhary K, Malhotra K, Sowers J, Aroor A. Uric acid key ingredient in the recipe for cardiorenal metabolic syndrome. Cardiorenal Med 2013; 3(3): 208–220.
- Raina S, Agarwal VK, Kapoor D, Sharma KN, Yadav RS. Hypertension as determinant of hyperuricemia: a case control study from the sub-himalayan region in north india. J Asso Phys India 2018; 66 :14-18.
- Ramirez MEG, Bargman JM. Treatment of asymptomatic hyperuricemia in chronic kidney disease: A new target in an old enemy – A review. J Adva Res 2017;8(5):551-554.
- Chen W, Liu Y, Wei M, Shi L, Wu Y, Liu ZY et al. Studies on the effect of Ginkgo biloba L. leaves in acute gout with hyperuricemia model rats by using UPLC-ESI-Q-TOF/MS metabolomic approach. RSC 2017; 7(68): 42964-42972.
- Higuchi K, Umegaki E, Watanabe T, Yoda Y, Morita E, Murano M. Present status and strategy of NSAIDs induced small bowel injury. J Gastroenterol 2009; 44(9): 879-888.
- Chan DC, Watts GF , Barrett PH, Burke VS. Waist circumference, waist-to-hip ratio and body mass index as predictors of adipose tissue compartments in men. Q J Med 2003; 96(6):441-447.
- Fossati P, Berti G. Principle L, Use of 3,5-dichloro-2-hydroxybenzenesulfonic acid/ 4 aminophenazone chromogenic system in direct enzymatic assays of uric acid in serum and urine. Clin Chem1980; 26(2): 227-231.
- Desideri G, Castaldo G, Lombardi A, Mussap M, Testa A, Pontremoli R et al. Is it the time to revise the normal range of serum uric acid levels?. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2014; 18(9): 1295-1306.
- Mahady GB. Ginkgo biloba for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease: a review of the literature. J Cardiovasc Nurs 2002; 16(4): 21–32.
- Elatrash AM, Abd El-Haleim SZ. Protective role of Ginkgo biloba on monosodium glutamate: induced liver and kidney toxicity in rats. RJPBCS 2015; 6(1): 1433-1441.
- Owen PL, Johns T (1999). Xanthine oxidase inhibitory activity of northeastern north American plant remedies used for gout. J Ethnopharmacol; 64(2): 149-160.