Engineering & Technology
Received: 18 Jun 2018 , Published: 23 June 2018
Views: 49 , Download: 32
|1||Aishwarya Dhopate, Prof. Saurabh Joshi, Prof. Shrikant V. Kulkarni|
Sustainable design is a design approach put in place to promote the environmental quality and the quality of building indoor environment by reducing negative impacts on building and the natural environment. Also, it is a design philosophy that seeks to incorporate sustainable development concept in terms of initiatives and values into sustainable building envelope design. However, the problem remains as to what constitutes sustainable development concept required for sustainable envelope design. Therefore, this paper is aimed at examining the role of sustainable development concept in sustainable envelope design by investigating the impacts of sustainable envelope design on building sustainability using Integrated Performance Model. This was validated by comparing the energy efficiency performance from selected case studies of buildings with sustainable development concept and building envelope without sustainable development concept. It is expected that the incorporation of sustainable development concept in terms of initiatives and values will enhance the energy performance of building envelopment development and bring about building sustainability
1. Ahmed Rashwan, Osama Farag & Wael Seddik Moustafa, “Energy performance analysis of integrating building envelopes with nanomaterials”, International Journal of Sustainable Built Environment, Vol.2, Pp.No.209–223, (2013).
2. Amany Ragheba, Hisham El-Shimy & Ghada Ragheb, “Green Architecture: A Concept of Sustainability”, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol.216, Pp.No.778 – 787, (2016).
3. Elie Azar, Christina Nikolopoulou & Sokratis Papadopoulos, “Integrating and optimizing metrics of sustainable building performance using human-focused agent-based modeling”, Applied Energy, Vol.183, Pp.No.926–937, (2016).
4. Francesca Bottalicoa, Gherardo Chiricia, et.al.,“Air Pollution Removal by Green Infrastructures and Urban Forests in the City Of Florence”, Agriculture and Agricultural Science Procedia, Vol.8, Pp.No. 243 – 251, (2016).
5. Joseph Iwaro & Abrahams Mwasha, “The Impact of Sustainable Building Envelope Design on Building Sustainability Using Integrated Performance Model”, International Journal of Sustainable Built Environment, Vol. 2, Pp.No.153–171, (2013).
6. Manuel Carlos Felgueirasa, Florinda F. Martinsb & Nídia S. Caetanoac, “Sustainability in Buildings - A Teaching Approach”, Energy Procedia, Vol. 107, Pp.No.15-22, (2017).
7. Mohammed S. Imbabi, Collette Carrigan & Sean McKenna, “Trends And Developments In Green Cement And Concrete Technology”, International Journal of Sustainable Built Environment, Vol.1, Pp.No.194–216, (2012).
8. N. Soaresa & J. Bastosa, et.al. “A Review on Current Advances in the Energy and Environmental Performance of Buildings Towards a More Sustainable Built Environment”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol.77, Pp.No. 845–860, (2017).
9. Parisa Pakzad & Paul Osmond,” Developing A Sustainability Indicator Set For Measuring Green Infrastructure Performance”, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol.216, Pp. No. 68 – 79, (2016).
10. Pervez Hameed Shaikh & Nursyarizal Bin Mohd. Nor, et.al., “Building Energy For Sustainable Development In Malaysia: A Review”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, (2016).
11. Ruth Shortall & Brynhildur Davidsdottir, “How to measure national energy sustainability performance: An Icelandic case-study”, Energy for Sustainable Development, Vol.39, Pp. No.29–47, (2017).
12. Sara Ursic, Roko Misetic & Anka Misetic, “New Perspectives on Sustainable Development of Second Homes in Croatia: Strategic Planning or Proliferation of Building”, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol.216, Pp.No.80 – 86, (2016).
13. S.C. Chan, A.I. Che-Ani b & N.L. Nik Ibrahim, “Passive Designs in Sustaining Natural Ventilation in School Office Buildings in Seremban, Malaysia”, International Journal of Sustainable Built Environment, Vol. 2, Pp.No.172–182,(2013).
14. William O'Brien & Isabella Gaetani, et.al., “On Occupant-Centric Building Performance Metrics”, Building and Environment, Vol.122, Pp.No. 373-385,(2017).
15. Zeev Stossel, Meidad Kissinger & Avinoam Meir, “Modeling the Contribution of Existing and Potential Measures to Urban Sustainability Using the Urban Biophysical Sustainability Index (UBSI)”, Ecological Economics, Vol.139, Pp.No.1–8, (2017).