Medicine, Health & Food
Received: 24 Jan 2020 , Published: 27 January 2020
Views: 22 , Download: 0
|3||Lidya Imelda Laksmi|
Background: Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN) and prostate adenocarcinoma are lesions that can be found on the prostate. In 2013 there were 9.2 million cases of BPH in Indonesia while 25,012 cases of prostate cancer alone. MUC1 is a transmembrane glycoprotein that can be expressed in both benign and malignant prostate lesions. In malignancy, MUC1 plays a role in cell proliferation, apoptosis and cell adhesion, thus increasing mortality from prostate cancer. MUC1 can also be associated with a poor prognosis in prostate malignancy. Currently, target therapies are being developed for prostate malignancies from several signaling pathways. Anti MUC1 as one of the therapeutic targets, is expected to be one of the therapeutic treatments in prostate malignancies.
Objective: To determine the expression of MUC1 in BPH, PIN and prostate adenocarcinoma with histopathological grading according to WHO 2016.
Materials and Method: This research is a descriptive study with a cross-sectional design. The sample of this study was BPH slaid, PIN and prostate adenocarcinoma which was stained with MUC1 immunohistochemistry and its expression was assessed in three categories: negative, weak positive and strong positive.
Result: From 34 samples in this study found 19 cases of BPH, 14 cases of prostate adenocarcinoma and 1 case of PIN. In BPH, MUC1 expression was negative in 9 (47.37%) cases, MUC1 expression was weak in 8 (42.11%) cases, strong positive expression in 2 (10.52%) cases. In prostate adenocarcinoma, MUC1 expression was negative in 1 (7.14%) cases, MUC1 expression was weak 9 (64.29%) cases, MUC1 expression was strongly positive 4 (28.57%) cases. On the positive MUC1 expression PIN is strong in 1 (100%) cases.
Keywords: benign prostatic hyperplasia, prostate adenocarcinoma, MUC1
- Hoffman M, Prostate Conditions: Anatomy picture of the prostate. Available from: http:// WebMD.com (Accessed 8th June 2019).
- Epstein J. Sistem Genitalia Pria dan Saluran Kemih Bawah. In: Kumar V, Abbas AK, Aster JC. (eds.) Robbins Basic Pathology. Edisi 9. Philadelpia. Elseiver. 2013. pp.663-68.
- Humphrey PA, Amin MB, Berney DM, Bills A, Cao D, Cheng L, et al. Acinar Adenocarcinoma in: Moch H, Humphrey PA, Ulbright TM, Reuter VE, editors. WHO Classification of Tumor: WHO Classification of Tumors of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organ. Lyon: IARC Press; 2016. pp.138-61.
- Laksmi LI. Akurasi Pewarnaan Histokimia Nucleolar Argyrophilic Organizing Regions (AgNORs) dan Ki-67 untuk Membedakan Lesi Jinak, Premalignan dan Malignan Jaringan Prostat. 2019. Available from: http://repositori.usu.ac.id/handle/123456789/13769.
- Riset Kesehatan Dasar (Riskesdas). (2013). Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan
Kesehatan Kementerian RI tahun 2013. [cited 2017 Sept 13]. Available from: http://www.depkes.go.id/resources/download/general/Hasil%20Riskesdas%20 2013.pdf
- Kementerian Kesehatan RI. Pusat Data dan Informasi. Stop Kanker. 2015.
- Schroder FH, Hugosson J, Roobol MJ, Tammela TL, Ciatto S, Nelen V, et al: Prostate-cancer mortality at 11 years of follow-up. New England Journal of Medicine 2012;366: pp.981-90.
- Bashir MN. Epidemiology of prostate cancer. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2015;16: pp.5137-41
- Center MM, Jemal A, Lortet-Tieulent J, Ward E, Ferlay J, Brawley O, et al. International variation in prostate cancer incidence and mortality rates. European Urology. 2012;61(6): pp.1079-92.
- Pakzad R, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, Ghoncheh M, Pakzad I, Salehiniya H. The incidence and mortality of prostate cancer and its relationship with development in Asia. Prostate International. 2015;3(4): pp.135-40.
- Pakzad R, Rafiemanesh H, Ghoncheh M, Sarmad A, Salehiniya H, Hosseini S, et al. Prostate cancer in Iran: trends in incidence and morphological and epidemiological characteristics. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2016;17(2): pp.839-43.
- Garbar C, Mascaux C and Wespes E: Expression of MUC1 and sialyl-Tn in benign prostatic glands, high-grade prostate intraepithelial neoplasia and malignant prostatic glands: a preliminary study. Anal Quant Cytol Histol. 2008. 30(2): pp.71-77.
- Eminaga O, Wei W, Hawley SJ, Auman H, Newcomb LF, Simko J, et al. MUC1 Expression by Immunohistochemistry Is Associated with Adverse Pathologic Features in Prostate Cancer: A Multi-Institutional Study. PloS ONE .2016;11(11): pp.1-12
- Rabiau N, Dechelotte P, Guy L, Satih S, Bosviel R, Fontana L, et al. Immunohistochemical Staining of Mucin 1 in Prostate Tissues. In vivo International Journal of experimental and clinical Pathophysiology and drug research. 2009; 23(2): pp.203-07.
- Nurlaili R, Wresnindyatsih, Apriani N, Saleh MI. Ekspresi alpha methylacyl co-a racemase (amacr) pada adenokarsinoma prostat dan high grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (hgpin). JKK, volume 4, no-2, April 2017. Pp 76-82 ISSN 2406-7431.
- Laksmi LI. Tampilan imunohistokimia p63 pada lesi jinak dan ganas prostat. Available from:http://repository.usu.ac.id/handle/123456789/34403
- Subathra K, Sangeetha N. Histopathological Study of Prostatic Lesions and Assessment with Agnor Index. Int J Pharm Bio Sci. 2014 April; 5 (2): pp.253-60.
- Caliskan S. Koca O, Akyuz M, Ozturk M, Karaman M. Clinical Significance of Single Microscopic Focus of Adenocarcinoma at Prostate Biopsy. Prostate Int; 2015;3: pp.132-34.
- Miranda A. MUC1 in the diagnosis and pathogenesis of malignant mesothelioma. Australia. November 2016. pp.23-35.