Biology and Life Sciences
Received: 15 Oct 2019 , Published: 23 October 2019
Views: 57 , Download: 0
|2||Mahamuda Hasan Barsha|
The current study aimed to analyze the proximate composition and selected mineral content (Iron and Calcium) of an indigenous fish species of Bangladesh: Gudusia chapra, which is locally known as Khoyra or Chapila fish. Fish samples were collected from three local markets of Jashore district. Regarding proximate analysis, moisture, ash, protein and fat content were analyzed by standard official methods of AOAC. Iron (Fe) content was determined by spectrophotometric method and Calcium (Ca) content was determined by calcium oxalate precipitation method. It was seen that the moisture content was about seventy-eight percent (78%); ash (total minerals) content was only about one percent (1%); crude protein content was about eighteen percent (18%); crude lipid content was about three percent (3%). No available carbohydrate was observed in the fish. Fe content of the fish sample was 0.78mg/100g and Ca content was 0.42mg/100g of fresh sample basis.
1. Rahman, A.K.A. 2005. Freshwater Fishes of Bangladesh (2nd edition). Zoological Society of Bangladesh, Department of Zoology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka. 394 pp.
2. Siddiqui, K.U., Islam, M.A., Kabir, S.M.H., Ahmad, M., Ahmed, A.T.A., Rahman, A.K.A., Haque, E.U., Ahmed, Z.U., Begum, Z.N.T., Hasan, A., Khondker, M. and Rahman, M.M. (eds.). 2007. Encyclopedia of Flora and Fauna of Bangladesh. Vol. 23. Freshwater Fishes. Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Dhaka 300 pp.
3. Siddiqui, K. U., Islam, M. A., Kabir, S. M. H., Ahmad, M., Ahmed, A. T. A., Rahman, A. K. A., Haque, E. U., Ahmed, Z. U., Begum, Z. N. T., Hasan, M A., Khondker, M. and Rahman, M. M. (eds.). 2008a. Encyclopedia of Flora and Fauna of Bangladesh. Vol. 17. Molluscs. Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Dhaka. 415 pp.
4. Siddiqui, K. U., Islam, M. A., Kabir, S. M. H., Ahmad, M., Ahmed, A. T. A., Rahman, A. K. A., Haque, E. U., Ahmed, Z. U., Begum, Z. N. T., Hasan, M A., Khondker, M. and Rahman, M. M. (eds.). 2008b. Encyclopedia of Flora and Fauna of Bangladesh. Vol. 18. ,Part II. Arthropoda: Crustacea. Molluscs. Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Dhaka. 226 pp.
5. Ahmed, A.T.A. and Ali, M.L. 1996. Fisheries Resources Potential in Bangladesh and Manpower Development for Fisheries Activities. In: Population Dimension of Fisheries Development and Management Policies of Bangladesh. Dhaka, Bangladesh.
6. FAO (Food and Agricultural Organization). 2005. FAO Yearbook of Fishery Statistics - Vol.100/1.
7. DoF (Department of Fisheries). 2014. National Fish week 2014 Compendium (In Bengali). Department of Fisheries, Ministry if Fisheries and Livestock, Bangladesh. 144p.
8. Bangladesh IU. Red List of Bangladesh Volume 5: Freshwater Fishes. IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, Bangladesh Country Office, Dhaka, Bangladesh. 2015;16:360.
9. Saha, B.K. 2007. Gudusia chapra. In: Siddiqui, K.U., Islam, M.A., Kabir, S.M.H., Ahmad, M., Ahmed, A.T.A., Rahman, A.K.A., Haque, E.U., Ahmed, Z.U., Begum, Z.N.T., Hassan, M.A., Khondker, M. & Rahman, M.M. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Flora and Fauna of Bangladesh, Vol. 23. Freshwater Fishes. Asiatic Society of Bangladesh. Dhaka. 23-24 pp.
10. AOAC. Official Methods of Analysis. Edn 13, Association of official analytical chemists, Washington, DC, 2005.
11. Jones DB. Factors for Converting Percentages of Nitrogen in Foods and Feeds into Percentages of Protein. US Dept. of Agrie, Cir. No. 83, 22 pp. SI. Rev. 1941.
12. AOAC. 2003. Official Methods of Analysis of Association of Analytical Chemist. 17th Ed.
13. Mazumder MS, Rahman MM, Ahmed AT, Begum M, Hossain MA. Proximate composition of some small indigenous fish species (SIS) in Bangladesh. International Journal of sustainable crop production. 2008 Jun;3(4):18-23.
14. Shaheen N, Rahim AT, Mohiduzzaman M, Banu CP, Bari ML, Tukun AB, Mannan M, Bhattacharjee L, Stadlmayr B. Food composition table for Bangladesh. Final Research Results. 2013;187.
15. Zaman M, Naser MN, Abdullah AT, Khan N. Nutrient contents of some popular freshwater and marine fish species of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Zoology. 2014;42(2):251-9.
16. Nahid MN, Latifa GA, Chandra S. Comparative study of biochemical composition and sensory characteristics of salt and garlic treated smoke-dried Chapila (Gudusia chapra, Hamilton; 1822) and Guchi Baim (Mastacembelus pancalus, Hamilton-Buchanan; 1822) stored at refrigeration temperature (4 0 C). J of Agric. and Vet. Sci. 2014;7(11):01-7.
17. Hossain MN, Afroz H, Haque MZ, Begum M. Evaluation of nutritional properties of some small indigenous fishes species in Bangladesh. International Journal of Biosciences. 2015;6(6):102-9.