Medicine, Health & Food
Received: 19 May 2019 , Published: 23 May 2019
Views: 192 , Download: 111
|1||Mei Ika MC, Delyuzar, Joko SL|
Background. Ameloblastoma is the most common odontogenic epithelial tumor. They are slow-growing, locally invasive and have various sizes, radiological imagings and histopathological subtypes. This tumor infiltrate the surroundings tissue by degrade the extracellular matrix, this activity can be seen based on the expression of MMP-9.
Objective. To investigate if there any difference in agresitivity of ameloblastoma based on MMP-9 expression in various histopayhological subtypes, rradiological imaging and tumor size.
Material and Methods. This is descriptive study with cross sectional approach. The samples of this study are medical records and slides/ paraffin blocks of patients that has been diagnosed as ameloblastomas at Haji Adam Malik General Hospital Medan. Ameloblastoma were stained by MMP-9 then evaluated by semiqualitative methods and related to histopathological subtypes, radiological imaging and tumor size.
Results. Based on data from 24 samples in this study showed all the samples were stained positively, 13 were weak expression and 11 were strong. Histopathological subtypes that found were follicular, plexiform, unilocular, extraosseus. Unilocular and extraosseus showed strong expression while follicular and plexiform showed various expression. The multilocular imaging showed mostly weak expression while the unilocular showed mostly strong expression, but not significant (p-value 0,537). For tumor size , 5 cm mostly showed strong expression, 5-10 cm mostly showed weak expression and > 10 cm showed equal strong and weak expression, but they had no significance (p-value 0,673).
Conclusion.There was no significant correlation between MMP-9 expression with ameloblastoma's radiological imaging and tumor size. Plexiform type mostly had strong expression.
- Vered M, Heikinheimo K, Shear M, Muller S. Ameloblastoma. In: Naggar AK, Chan JK, Grandis JR, Takata T, Slootweg PJ. Editors. World Health Organization Classification of Tumours Pathology and Genetics Head and Neck Tumours. France: IARC Press; 2017.p. 215-219
- Setiady, DR. Kajian prevalensi ameloblastoma berdasarkan usia, regio, jenis kelamin, tipe histo patologi anatomis dan penatalaksanaannya di RSD DR. Soebandi jember tahun 2008-2012.Desember 2013
- Rudiana, Sandini SU, Vitria EE, Santosa TI. Profile of ameloblastoma from a retrospective study in jakarta, Indonesia. Journal of Dentistry Indonesia.2011, Vol.18, No.2, 27-32
- Li Y, Han B, Jiang-Li L. Prognostic and proliferative evaluation ofameloblastoma based on radiographic boundary. International Journal of oral science (2012)4,30-33
- Slootweg PJ. Dental pathology a practical introduction. Berlin: Springer;2007.p. 59-61
- Neville BW, Damm DD, Allen CM, Bouquot JE. Oral & Maxillofacial pathology second edition. Philadelphia: WB Saunders company.2002.p. 611-620
- Soames JV, Southam JC. Oral Pathology 4th Ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press;2005.p.9-18
- Singh V, Dhasmana S, mohammad S, DwivediC. Clinicopathological study and treatment outcome of 40 cases of ameloblastoma- a seven year retrospective report. World articles in ear, nose and throat.2010
- Cui D, Naftal JP, Daley WP, Lynch JC, Haines DE, Yang G, et.al. Atlas of histology with functional &critical correlations. Philadelphia: Lippincott & Wilkins.2011.p. 266-278
- Beena VT, Choudary K, Heera R, Rajeev R, Sivakumar R, Vidhyadharan K. Peripheral ameloblastoma: a case report and review of literature. Hindawi Publishing Corporation. Case Report in Dentistry Volume 2012. Article ID 571509
- Anne R, Krisnuhoni E, Chotimah C, Latief BS. Matrix metalloproteinase-9 9MMP-9) expression in dofferent subtypes of ameloblastoma. J.Maxillofac.oral surg.2014;13(3):281-285
- Florescu A, Margarritescu CL, Simionescu CE, Stepan A. Immunohistochemical expression of MMP-9, TIMP-2, E-Cadherin and vimentin in ameloblastomas and their implication in the local aggresive behavior of these tumors. Rom J Morphol Embryol 2012. 53(4):975-984
- Da Silva AD, Nobrega TG, Saudades AW, Otero MI, Danilevicz CK, Magnusson AS, et al. Ameloblastic neoplasia spectrum a cross-sectional study of MMPs expression and proliferative activity. Oral surgery oral medicine oral pathology and oral radiology.2016 Apr;121(4):396-401