Received: 28 Apr 2018 , Published: 06 May 2018
Views: 151 , Download: 74
|1||Dr. G. Ravi kumar|
The aim of this paper is to explore whether brand versus experience oriented advertising has an influence on the relationship between advertising trustworthiness and purchase intentions. Hereby, it examines what kind of effect different advertising formats have on consumers’ perception about advertising, based on a sample of 139 respondents, acquired from an online survey, this study finds that consumers trust a brand more, believe a brand is more authentic and are able to affirm themselves with a brand more easily when they are exposed to brand oriented ads. Moreover, it is shown that when the semantic memory of consumers is being triggered within ads the brand image consumers have about a brand is stimulated. This indicates that brand oriented advertisements are more effective in creating the perception of a trustworthy, authentic and affirmable brand. Regressions on the multiple relationships between the trustworthiness drivers trust, authenticity, affirmation and purchase intentions show that the only significant proven relationship is the one between attitude towards brands and purchase intentions. The three drivers of advertising trustworthiness do not influence this relationship. Consumers do not have a better attitude or higher purchase intentions because of advertising trustworthiness.
Keywords: Advertising Trustworthiness, Trust, Authenticity, Affirmation, Brand Oriented Advertising, Experience Oriented Advertising, Consumers’ purchase intentions
- Adler, R. B., & Rodman, G. (2000). Understanding human communication. Fort Worth, Texas: Harcourt College Publishers.
- Babbie, E. (2013). The Practice of Social Research. Wadsworth: Cengage Learning.
- Chi, H., H.R., Y., & Tsai, Y. (2011). The influences of perceived value on consumer purchase intention: the moderating effect of advertising endorser. Journal of International Management, 1-6.
- Chiou, W.-B., Wan, C.-S., & Lee, H.-Y. (2008). Virtual experience vs. brochure in the advertisment of scenic spots: How cognitive preferences and order effects influence advertising effects on consumers. Tourism Management, 146-150.
- Day, J. (2015, January 10). Experience Oriented Marketing: Tapping into the Customer's Experience. Opgehaald van Insightfulday: http://www.insightfulday.com/experience-oriented-marketing-tapping-customers-experience/
- Gershon, N., & Page, W. (2001). What Storytelling Can Do for Information Visualization? Communications of the ACM, 31-37.
- Hausman, A. (2014, October 6). Social Media Versus Traditional Media. Opgehaald van Hausman Marketing Letter: https://www.hausmanmarketingletter.com/social-media-versus-traditional-media/
- Hulme, M. (2010). Your Brand: At Risk? or Ready for Growth? Chicago: Alterian.
- Janssens, W., Wijnen, K., de Pelsmacker, P., & van Kenhove, P. (2008). Marketing Research with SPSS. Harrow: Pearson Education Limited.
- Jiang, Z., Thomas, S. A., & Rajiv, S. (2014). Semantic Versus Episodic Processing in Consumer Experiental Quality Learning. National University of Singapore: Department of Marketing.
- Johnson, S. (2014, September 29). New Research Sheds Light on Daily Ad Exposure. Opgehaald van SJ Insights: http://sjinsights.net/2014/09/29/new-research-sheds-light-on-daily-ad-exposures/
- Kohavi, R., Longbotham, R., Sommerfield, D., & Henne, R. M. (2009). Controlled experiments on the web: survet and practical guide. Data mining and knowledge discovery, 140 - 181.
- Krishnamurthy, S. (2000). Enlarging the pie vs. increasing one's slice: An analysis of the relationship between generic and brand advertising. Marketing Lett, 37-48.
- Li, H., Daugherty, T., & Biocca, F. (2001). Characteristics of virtual experience in electronic commerce: a protocol analysis. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 13-30.
- Likert, R. (1932). A Technique for the Measurement of Attitudes. Archives of Psychology, 1 - 55.
- Lindblad, M. (2015, January 9). What is Brand-based Advertising? Opgehaald van Small Business: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/brandbased-advertising-21358.html